DeviantART was created to entertain, inspire, and empower the artist in all of us and today is the leading destination on the Internet for creativity and the arts. Our small backend team is responsible for the systems that power deviantART.com, as well as for designing next-generation technologies for content discovery and delivery. As the newest member of this team, you'll be working directly with other engineers and data scientists; you will not have to report to any non-technical managers.
Please note that applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada in order to be considered for this role.
We're looking for someone who can:
- Help inform and improve our data-driven product design and decision-making processes
- Understand and contribute to the design, implementation, configuration, and operation of systems for content discovery and delivery
- Take responsibility for improvements in software scalability, performance and reliability
You're a great fit for us if you have:
- A successful track record of applying machine learning techniques to solve real-world problems; including algorithms for classification, regression, topic modelling, and computer vision/image analysis
- Highly-developed data mining/exploratory data analysis skills, as well as knowledge of experimental best practices
- Practical experience working with infrastructure for large-scale search and content delivery; using Solr, Lucene, Hadoop, Memcached, Thrift, MySQL, HBase, or other related technologies
- A deep knowledge of C++ (including the STL and Boost), Python (including Numpy/Scipy/etc.), and when to use each
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- 3 years of professional software development experience
Here's a sample of what our backend team has done lately:
- Built a recommender system drawing on each of our hundreds of millions of unique works of art
- Launched a new algorithm for automatically identifying and promoting high-quality art from the more than 100,000 pieces submitted each day
- Designed a faceted browse system that dynamically adapts to users' search queries in real time
- Developed a service that transparently reuses connections to our MySQL servers in order to reduce overhead and improve throughput without requiring changes to client code
- Configured a cluster for running distributed "big data" analysis jobs
We enjoy looking at code samples. Please include links to your live projects, github accounts, etc.
deviantART's Canadian office is located in the vibrant Gastown district of downtown Vancouver, you must be willing and able to work from this location.
Salary/Benefits: DeviantART offers a competitive salary and extended health benefits and a competitive RRSP program.